Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Friend Neil and Adam Ate These in Mexico and Made Them For Me!

See, this isn't an exact recipe and you can certainly tweak it how you want. That's sort of how it goes, I guess. Here's what was going on when I arrived at Neil's house, expecting some blackened hot dogs and ruffled chips (I didn't care, I was hungry and even asked if I needed to stop and get some potato salad).

When I got there, Neil's lady friend, Hallie, who I think is fabulous, had her entorouge (sp?) mashing up guacamole, Neil's housemate, Chris had a friend Javier who was just finishing up some cactus salsa, which delighted me because I'd not run into anyone my age who would eat cactus unless under my duress. This salsa was wonderful. These guys work at their other housemate's (not present) restaurant, The Wing Shack and had procured a stash of hot sauce from said establishment. There was queso, made by one of Hallie's gals. I helped Neil wrap the hot dogs with bacon (pay attention, this is a key point--which I will repeat, lucky you) but we later agreed he should have wrapped them with the pre-cooked bacon you can buy in packages. Although I think it turned out fine. I"m not sure what he was worried about and frankly, I don't think they have pre-cooked bacon in Mexico, or at least where Adam and Neil went. Then I carmelized some rings of onions. As Neil went to grill the dogs, we got out the mayonnaise and the sour cream. Yes, I said mayonnaise. So, following is how you basically put together a Mexican Hot Dog:

Bun

Mayo and Sour Cream (I skipped the sour cream but the mayo is a must...that's how they make them...unless you are the Cadillac of Stephanies. Then skip this step and stick to sour cream)

Carmelized Onions

Bacon Wrapped Grilled Hot Dog with the yummy grilled hot dog black crap

Guacamole

Queso

Salsa (I highly recommend making a homemade salsa such as the cactus one. i have a recipe for pumpkin seed salsa that would have done well also. I DON"T reccomend crappy run of the mill salsa as this is not a run of the mill hot dog)

If you have the stomach and mouth lining, try the hot sauce. Apparently, you can't do this unless it is HOT sauce. I can't do this. I enjoy tasting my food and not burning my lips off.

Note: I heard the term "stacking" being thrown about. I think this refers to eating two of these guys in one go. This brings you mucho respect from other guys, I guess. Or people around you.

Enjoy. Seriously, I'm a hot dog buff. I know a lot about them, have once owned a PBS video on the making of them and I collect Weinermobiles. This is what happens when someone nicknames you Weiner. Plus I just really enjoy them and have fond memories of them. This is just one more.

Enjoy!

No comments: