Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Internet Dating on Plenty Offish: Part 2



There is a half dollar sized burn in my carpet. It's not important to the story how it got there. This morning I noticed, as I sat down to check my email, a single confetti heart sitting within the burned spot, my favorite brown headband encircling the entire site. My carpet has heartburn. Yet, it seems so happy.

Maybe this is a good sign.

I admit to being a bit superstitious.

Evidence of this being that, when I saw it, I thought of the email I received in my fish tank (as I have come to think of my inbox on plentyoffish.com) last night from someone who was actually interesting. I contacted him first, having been quite impressed with his mandatory essay that, again, like Mr. Chinese Medicine (whom I have not heard back from because, I like to think maybe he is floating upside down at the top of his tank or maybe he ate too many fish flakes and is hunkering down behind a ceramic scuba diver for a few days) I think would have appeared even had it not been mandatory.

When I emailed him, I baited my hook with a paragraph of genuine Wendy and a hummus recipe handed down to me from my close friend Jana (who will be returning home on Wednesday and possibly that is a good sign as well) and noted that I sometimes add a cup of sharp cheddar cheese and a few slices of pre-cooked bacon, crumbled to give it an extra kick of deliciousness.

This went over like Mary Poppins's umbrella! I was happy to find a lovely email response which included a line that said, "if you were for sale on Ebay I would give the seller an a+++." It also started out with, "You get it," which is nice to hear because I feel that I do but I feel that so many men out there don't get me. To some degree at least, on an email level, this fish gets my witticisms and seems to be an adult with a childlike humor. The hard part is waiting for a reply to the email I sent to his fishtank in response to his lovely email. I'm also dying to know if he liked the hummus. He said he was going to try it and said he had quite the palate for middle-eastern cuisine.

On the plane of strange occurrences or things that make you go "hmmm," I have done some possible networking through Plenty Offish. One of the fish found out I was a photographer and has done some acting in Los Angeles. He needs new head shots. Okay. I can do that. I've suddenly had some side projects popping up on a freelance basis that has spawned a sister to Tangerine Photography and Wordography called Satsuma Imagery (a Satsuma being a Japanese tangerine.) Basically, I've come up with a possibility to make some cash if this guy comes through. Neato. Note to self: Email Kelly my logos today.

I don't want to leave you thinking I haven't come across some weird breeds of fish. No, Plenty Offish is teeming with these things. Today's favorite (I really wish I could post photos in this case but it's just not ethical) has a look on his face that can only be described as "Yes. This is as good as it gets. Also, I just found out my ferret died." *insert really long sigh here* The downward arc of his mouth is not so much a frown as it is an upside down rainbow which apparently depresses all the rainbows in the world on sight. It's complimented by his carefully spiked blonde hair and his "I've just given up on anything happy in this world" look in his eye. I am dying to know what sort of emails he gets in his fish tank, but since I have no way of knowing, here's his mandatory essay, which again, I don't think would appear if the almighty Markus hadn't forced him to do it.

"I am the kind of guy who loves to ski in the wintertime. And who plays on a baseball and softball team in the summertime. I occasionally throw a small party for my friends at my house and go to a few here in their I am open-minded to lots of activities
You should be------->under 5-9", attractive, easy going, inteligent, spontanious, fun, and posses a good sence of humor. Gainfully employed, self sufficient(car), and single.
I like girls that laugh at my stupid jokes, And love girls that laugh at my smart ones.I am not looking for someone who is going to cause a lot of drama in my life. Although I do think it's a necessary evil in life I am easy-going and can compromise on many things I am not looking for a sex partner . I am looking for someone who can take care of themselves in situations. as well likes to make life better for themselves. anyway, if you fit the bill, drop me a line and will have a conversation or 2, and take it from there. send a pic for a response as well. F.Y.Ithat is a recent pic."

So, to recap (I copy and paste directly, so this is how they write them, folks), Mr. Sad Sack likes to ski when there is snow and do summertime things when it is summertime. Also, he has the worst grammar in the universe and likes to show it off at parties he likes to throw here and their.

Additionally, he's not picky at all about appearance as long as you are under 5'9" (that's a nice round number to pick), easy-going, attractive and intelligent (someone has to know how to spell in this relationship). Oh! You must also be self-sufficient which means you own a car. Once again, you are allowed to live in your parents' basement with four kids living on alimony but as long as you have a car, that is cool. Public transportation and not polluting the environment is for losers, according to him. That would really put him out. He is also not looking for sex because that would just cheer him up. Just so you know, the picture he posted is recent so that's what you're going to get. He looks like that right now. Contact him now.

I think I'll pass on this fish and see how it turns out with Mr. Hummus. In the meantime, since I finally finished the quilt I'd been putting off completing, I think I'll keep working on the scarf I've been crocheting. Tomorrow is Crochet Club Tuesday, population two. It's awesome. I think we get to watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" on DVD. Nice.

Until next time!

No comments: