Saturday, May 17, 2008

Boolicious



I had another bizarre phone call yesterday.

This one was not a pocket call, though. Here's how it went down.

My Mom and I were in the car (I can't wait until June when I can start typing "I was driving down the street" again) and I remembered I needed to call Jeff Crabtree of Crabtree Brewing here in Greeley (you should go try the Serenity--it's the bestest!) I had forgotten to write down their phone number off of their web site though and information refuses to acknowledge their existence even though my friends and I are clearly aware of it. But I digress (I later found out it was in information under Mr. Crabtree's name after a lightbulb went off in my head.)

I thought I remembered it but couldn't remember if it was a 353 or a 356 prefix. I figured I'd try both. I tried the 356 prefix first and got a voicemail with one of those messages telling you that you have reached the number you dialed (thanks, Mr. Phone!) and I was like, nope, not that one and disconnected. I tried the 353 prefix and a Chinese man answered. A very cranky Chinese man. He was demanding to know who I was and rapid firing questions at me so fast that I became very intimidated and just blurted out, "I dialed the wrong number! I'm sorry!" and disconnected again.

Then my phone rang. It came up as Unknown.

I knew who this was. It was the 356 prefix doing the "Who is this?" call back. We've all done it to sate our curiosity but usually when the person doesn't answer we move on with our life. We don't leave a message. We don't...well, you'll see.

Unknown left a message. A long one:
"Hi..Someone from this number called my phone and I don't know you but you called me and this is Amy but you might have been trying to reach my husband David...soooo...um, yeah." She sounded confused but fairly cheerful. Although not the type of person I would trust. Amy sounds like she hides under her cheer. As was indicative in yes, our further interaction.

Amy sounded particularly weirded out by my hang up call so I thought I would call back and let her know I had mis-dialed. I figured it would be the nice thing to do. There was a conversation. A confusing one:
"Hi! Is this Amy?"

"Yes."

"Oh, this is Wendy. I called your phone earlier. I actually was trying to call another number and I just wanted to let you know. Sorry."

Sidebar: She is going to use a nickname for her husband which I never understood so we will just call him Boolicious.

"You weren't trying to get hold of Boolicious?"

"What?"

"Boolicious."

"I don't know what that is."

"Some people know my husband by that. It's his nickname. Boolicious."

"I don't know that person. I just wanted to let you know I had misdialed your number. Um. Have a good day."

"Ok."

"Bye."

...and Click.

My phone at this point was nearly dead so I turned it off as we finished our errands and grabbed a bite, etc. A couple of hours later, when I returned home, I plugged it in and turned it back on, I had two voicemails. One was from my neurologist's office confirming my appointment. Noted. Thank you, Caleb from Advanced Neurology.

The second went a little like this:

"Hey, this is Dave. Just returning your phone call."

It was Boolicious.

Christ on a bike.


No comments: