Monday, July 16, 2007

My Russian Cleaning Lady is More Productive in a Blizzard Than I Am

Once again, I am in amazement at the habits and ambitions of Lilia, my Russian cleaning lady.

What I was doing during the Holiday Blizzard of 2006:

I was snowed in at my friend Ryan's house with friends Amy and Anthony, watching superhero movies, almost setting my face on fire and actually setting a few of my hairs on fire (they curled up just even a little more!) by doing a trick one of the other showed me (holding down the lever on a lighter and sucking in the butane, letting it go, holding the butane in your mouth, lighting the lighter, then blowing. It's harder than it sounds to get some fire. Also you might blow your face off and/or catch a few hairs on fire. If you're lucky. I have banned myself from this trick. Other activities included getting into an argument over my bean soup which, despite being shoveled down at a fast pace, was touted as "warmed up salsa" (not true at all!), getting drunk off of the rest of my Glenlivet (which Amy and I hiked through the snow with Christmas presents like tiny reindeer when it was still barely hikeable)that equaled out to about six shots that went down like melted butter, making lists of things that really seemed important to rank as important in the universe, eating wheat pancakes, playing "Caps" which I am somehow really good at. This game, if you've never heard of it is basically forming two teams and each team has one or two glasses of beer in front of them. The point is to sink your bottle caps into the beer. You get two tries per turn. If you sink the bottle cap, they have to drink the whole beer. These guys scare me because they don't remove the caps before they drink and Ryan has a story about this guy he used to know who got a cap stuck in his throat and he was the one who ended up getting it out or something while everyone else just watched. Or this was something that happened to his friend Jon I think. I think this would have scared the shit out of Ryan enough to take the damn cap out of his beer if it had happened to him.

At one point, 24 hours later, the guys decide to form a two-man brigade to go dig out all of our cars by Anthony's because, at the time, his was not running and had not been for quite awhile. Some time passes and Amy and I are hanging out talking about stuff and all that when we get a phone call from Ryan.

Instructions: Get our shoes or boots on, meet him at the end of the alley because whilst digging his car out, they met up with Gabe and Chris from our favorite hangout, Roma's, who were digging other people's cars out and while Roma's was obviously closed, we've been invited to go have a beer there anyway with the Car Dig-out Crew which later turned out was close to the entire staff.

Amy and I slide down the alley, giggling scarves flying behind us, holding hands like a couple of schoolgirls so we don't fall and pile into the car. Ryan slowly makes his way down the street to Roma's where he finds some spot to park. I can't remember where. It was a decent spot. When we go inside Roma's, we find a game of King's Cup in progress. Yet another drinking game to add to our Blizzard repertoir. This time, though, it's high stakes because, at Roma's, it's not cans of PBR. It's approximately 32 oz of Easy Street Wheat and when you have to do a Waterfall, well...oh God. The beer was disappearing pretty fast and that's a lot of beer. Once again, I was pretty drunk. Plus they were making weird pizzas. But I was happy. Friends were around and my feet were dry, thanks to my forethought in buying the most amazing snow boots ever.

Love was all around.

At some point, we made it back to Ryan's. This part was a little hazy. That night, I was starting to get the cabin fever. I was drunk but coming off the "Love is all around" thing and I was starting to stink. I hadn't showered since the day before, not knowing I would be quarantined. My hair looked like a mental patient styled it and I was really wanting to sleep in my own bed.

By this time the roads were at a point where if you had a military vehicle or some equivalent you could probably make it somewhere. Somehow one of our other friends made it over and was ready to party, despite Amy now having developed a toothache, Ryan being drunk and tired and my being, drunk, tired and crabby and Anthony out playing touch football in the damn snow. Word arrived our friend Darcie was showing up with her sister. I was not into a party but was always glad to see Darcie. I would hunker down and just nod off if need be but I was getting the Fear that I would never make it back out of the alley again.

Darcie sure did show up with her sister and her sister drove a crazy Jeep that could bitch slap the roads. I hopped in that thing so fast and pointed toward my apartment I was a blur with hair like a Brillo pad. I didn't care that I was tossed around the back seat so hard I wanted to cry because I was a sissy and I was going to have bruises on my sit upon the next morning. I was going home! I was going to shower! I was going to change clothes! I was not going to eat warmed up salsa (it really isn't!)!

What Lilia Did During the Holiday Blizzard of 2006:

What you're looking at here is the Queen Tower sold at Playful Pet Products, the side business thought up during the blizzard by Lilia and her husband.

This tower is actually standing in my living room right now. I would show you my picture of my cats on it but my memory card is again, having technical difficulties. It's a little over 6 feet tall.

You should check it out for yourself.

There's even a story in there about the blizzard and how they came up with the idea and then just built one. Why not? I read it and was like if I didn't have some things going for me, I'd staple my face to the carpet. I did read it and think back to the time she told me out of the blue how she wanted to own an airplane.

I really don't doubt she will.

She has the drive of ten thousand Ferraris.

No comments: